Easy Way to Install Marble tiles
How are marble tiles installed?
Marble tiles are the supreme discipline when installing, due to their sensitivity, place high demands on the handyman. With some helpful tips and the right equipment, it is possible to applicate the tiles on the walls or floor without a specialist for a perfect result.
Instructions for installing marble tiles using the thin or medium bed method?
Elegance and a touch of luxury go hand in hand with marble tiles, so they are particularly popular in the bathroom. It should be noted in advance that the surface of the marble is sensitive and reacts strongly to alkalis and acids.
Procedures of Installation
- For the laying of marble tiles, only special glue, which is commercially available as marble-suitable mortar or thin-bed mortar, may be used. According to the instructions for use, this is mixed with water and left to rest for 5 minutes after stirring. Then it is mixed vigorously again before use.
- This is applied to the flat, clean and dust-free floor with a trowel or toothed spatula. It is best to always paint from wall to wall so that there are straight lines and the thickness of the marble adhesive is identical in all places. The back of the marble tiles must be coated with the adhesive. This is advisable not only for thin and translucent tiles but generally for all marble tiles.
- To prevent the adhesive from drying out, the tiles must be put in place 10 to 20 minutes after preparing the floor and the back of the tile. The joint width is variable and depends on the tile size. Crosshairs can be used as aids for identical joints.
- The marble tiles are carefully inserted into the mortar bed with a sliding movement. A bucket of clean water must always be available so that the surface to be laid and the laying tool can then be cleaned with water and freed of adhesive residues.
- Before the joints are filled, the finished tiled marble floor needs a rest and drying time that varies greatly depending on the manufacturer. Since the joints are all equally wide and deep due to the precise preparation, an optimal result can then be achieved. When grouting, it should be noted that the grout must be suitable for marble. Other mortars are unsuitable and, by their nature, could damage the sensitive surface of the marble tiles. The grout is mixed according to the instructions for use and must be left for 5 minutes before processing.
- Now the handyman pours the pulpy mass onto the floor and uses a rubber wiper to apply the grout diagonally to the joints. After completing this step, the excess grout is carefully wiped off the surface. The surface can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth, avoiding pressure on the still damp joints.
- The grout has dried when its surface shimmers matt. Now a damp sponge is optimal for basic cleaning and removes all mortar residues from the surface of the tiles. You should not use a hard, scratchy sponge, as this can scratch the surface of the marble tiles and cause unsightly damage. After the mass has completely dried out, polish with a dry cloth.
- For the transitions from the floor to the wall, as well as the marble floor to other rooms, no regular grout is used, but an expandable material, such as natural stone silicone. Here too, special silicone must be observed, on which the use in combination with marble is precisely mentioned. Marble tiles may only be laid with suitable composite materials, this is also valid for silicone. Because the wrong silicone causes irreparable damage to natural stone.